Will Your Husband Go After Thanksgiving Shopping with You?

The day after Thanksgiving is a huge shopping day in all areas of the United States of America. The Thanksgiving papers will be full of sales, coupons, and door busters. Saturday, the news will be full of fights and reports of shopping violence at Wal-Mart, Target, and malls all across the nation. I have participated in this chaos once or twice, mainly during my pre-children days. The fuss of waking up early, finding a sitter, and fighting the crowds make the sales seem less than appealing to me now. I usually find that the same deals are offered closer to … Continue reading

Thanksgiving in Kindergarten

Holidays are always exciting at school, especially if you are in kindergarten. We celebrate Valentine’s Day, Groundhog’s Day, Easter, President’s Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and more. For five year olds there cannot be enough reasons to celebrate and create art projects. Each special day gives me a special reason to give my students a special memory. Today is our last day of school before Thanksgiving Holiday break. Our Thanksgiving vacation will be Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. All week last week, we discussed the Pilgrims and the Indians. We read books about them and talked about the Mayflower. We have made several … Continue reading

Two Thanksgiving Sides: Grandma Delp’s Pumpkin Casserole and Sweet Potato Casserole

This is a blog directly from the forums. When member QueenAngie asked us what we’re cooking for Thanksgiving dinner this year, a conversation of foods, customs and recipe sharing ensued. Someone asked for a sweet potato casserole recipe and so I thought I’d oblige with my favorite sweet potato casserole. Sweet Potato Casserole You will need: 3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes 2/3 cup white sugar 1/4 cup butter, softened 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 cup milk 2 eggs, beaten 1 cup packed light brown sugar 1 cup chopped pecans 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1/3 cup butter, softened Directions: … Continue reading

3 Fall Freezer Meal Ideas

Whenever the season of fall begins to peek through, I get a craving for doing some freezer cooking. These past mornings have been a little on the chilly side, and our skin breaks out in goose flesh as we wait for the bus in sweatshirts hastily thrown over t-shirts and shorts (the weather still warms back up during the day). Fall is a wonderful time to do some freezer cooking. You start looking forward to turning on that oven, you have a sense of gathering your nuts (stocking the freezer) before winter, and there are all sorts of great produce … Continue reading

Post Christmas Quiet

‘Twas the morning after Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse (we have traps set in the garage). Sigh. This is the morning after Christmas, and I am enjoying some great quiet time with just me, the tree and all of you. If you celebrate the season, did you have a good Christmas? For us, it all started with Christmas eve. The excited kids finally went to bed, after we heard the jingle bells that herald the forthcoming visit from the big guy in red. And as those children were nestled all … Continue reading

A Day to be Thankful for Our Marriage

It is easy to complain and think of all of the things in life that go wrong. I have often heard that it takes ten good experiences to forget one bad experience. This I can believe. I usually remember the bad things that people say or do much longer than the good things. For this reason, it is very important that we take at least one day of the year to recall things that we can be thankful for having. While it should happen much more often, Thanksgiving gives us at least once chance to show our thanks. As a … Continue reading

I Am Thankful to be a Teacher

Teachers can sometimes have a bad reputation. In most cases the media only reports bad situations that some teachers gets themselves into or low tests that some schools can receive. However, teaching is a good profession. I am proud to be a teacher and I stand behind public education. I feel that bad teachers are out just like bad persons in any other job. Likewise there are bad teachers in private schools, charter schools, and home schools. Today, I want to take an opportunity to be thankful for my job. I am thankful that every day is different. Children do … Continue reading

Creating the Perfect Turkey: The Homemade Stock

A little while ago, I shared a few tricks for roasting a perfect turkey. I have a method, but it’s one of those “eyeball this” and “cook it until it looks like this” type methods. That’s not really helpful for a turkey novice and so I’ve been searching for fantastic step by step directions that take the guess work out of turkey roasting. I think I have finally found it at cooking.com. So what follows is a rarity for me. . .a slightly modified re-published method of cooking a turkey for the complete novice. ‘Twas A Few Days Before Thanksgiving. … Continue reading